555 Trinity Creek Cove, Cordova, TN 38018 US
901-624-9002

Pet Care Blog

How can I tell if my dog has been poisoned?

Our Memphis Emergency vets know that dogs love to chomp on things they shouldn't. As a responsible pet owner it's important to be able to spot the early signs that your dog has been poisoned, and know what to do if your dog is showing poisoning symptoms. 


Dog Poisoning

The most common cases of dogs being poisoned are unintentional accidents. Frequently our family pets have gotten into things they shouldn't have and loving dog owners are left panicked and wondering what to do.

In other cases, dogs have been exposed to toxic substances, or even just eaten treats that just aren't suitable for dog metabolisms.

What to do if you think your dog has been poisoned, Memphis vet

Common Household Items Toxic to Dogs

Your home and garden is filled with items that are potentially toxic or poisonous to your dog. That's why it's important to know where your dog is at all times, and to keep potentially harmful substances beyond the reach of your curious dog's mouth.

Some of the most common household substances that are poisonous to dogs are:

  • Chocolate
  • Raisins
  • Xylitol (low calorie sweetener)
  • Bleach
  • Oven cleaner
  • Laundry detergent
  • Tylenol
  • Alcohol
  • Gasoline
  • Tobacco
  • Furniture polish
  • Drain cleaners
  • Antidepressants
  • Snail, slug or rodent poisons
  • Fungi
  • Yew trees
  • Acorns
  • Spring bulbs

Signs & Symptoms of Poisoning in Dogs

Depending on the type of poison, the early signs and symptoms of poisoning in dogs vary tremendously but fall into a few categories: 

  • Symptoms caused by swallowed poisons can include: vomiting, diarrhoea, agitation and heart issues.
  • Inhaled toxins may cause breathing difficulties or loss of consciousness in dogs.
  • If your dog's skin comes in contact with a poisonous substance typical symptoms include irritation and pain.

It's important to note that the symptoms of poisoning typically take a number of days to appear, and in some cases could even take months. 

Long-Term Symptoms of Dog Poisoning

If you know that your dog has eaten something poisonous it is essential to get treatment immediately. The fact that your dog doesn't display any symptoms right away does not mean that they are safe from the effects of the poisonous substance!

Some of the long-term symptoms of your dog coming in contact with poisonous substances include: irregular heart beat, kidney failure, liver damage, loss of blood, and neurological symptoms such as seizures.

What To Do If Your Dog Has Been Poisoned

If your dog has been poisoned stay calm and call your Memphis emergency vet, immediately.

Make sure to get your dog well away from the poisonous substance. If your dog got into it once, they may head right back to it while you are on the phone. Safely move the substance well out of your dog's reach.

Do not try to administer doggie first aid. Different poisonous substances require different actions. While some cases may call for inducing vomiting, in other cases inducing vomiting could make your dog even more sick. Get your dog to the vet as quickly as possible and let your veterinary professionals administer appropriate treatment.

If you know what has poisoned your dog, bring any packaging or a sample of the poison safely to your vet's office. The packaging will help your vet to get a full understanding of the situation, and how best to treat your dog.

If your dog is experiencing any symptoms of poisoning, come to our office right away. Our reliable and compassionate team of veterinary specialists are here for your pet 365 days a year, 24/7.

From Happy Pet Owners

  • "My little guy had the best knowledgeable care, I felt very welcomed, and everyone was very generous. Thank you, MVS!”
    Kathy W.

901-624-9002